Thursday, March 24, 2022
Prevention and Treatment of COVID-19: A Review of the Current Data
- Review current data on vaccines available for prevention of COVID-19, as well as contraindications and precautions.
- Discuss the current treatment guidelines for patients with COVID-19 in the outpatient and inpatient settings.
- Identify any new or emerging pharmacologic treatments for prevention and/or treatment of COVID-19.
Contraception, Hormone Replacement Therapy and Cardiovascular Disease
- Review current contraception choices their effectiveness and associated risks.
- Discuss drug drug interactions with contraceptive therapies and common cardiovascular medications.
- Outline patient centered approaches to counseling women with heart disease regarding contraception options.
- Review current recommendations for menopausal hormone therapy and the relationship with CVD health outcomes and risks.
Supplement Use in CV patients: What you need to know
- Identify the most common supplements used for prevention and management of cardiovascular disease.
- Summarize current research conclusions regarding common supplements used for cardiovascular health.
- Review supplements with known harmful interactions with commonly used cardiovascular medications.
- Identify reliable resources for HCPs and patients on the use of nutritional supplements.
Clinical Management of Thyroid Disorder
- Define hypothyroidism and hyperthyroidism and list common causes
- Discuss oral thyroid replacement products available for the treatment of hypothyroidism and the appropriate use of these products
- Compare the available treatment modalities for the patient with hyperthyroidism and their appropriate use
- Describe appropriate management strategies for special populations with thyroid disorders including older patients, pregnant women and those with cardiovascular diseases
Heart Failure: Evidenced-based Pharmacologic Therapies
- Review clinical practice guidelines for the treatment of heart failure.
- Discuss the drug classes used in evidenced based heart failure management.
- Describe how to select the right drug for the right patient, considering HF type and class, co-morbid conditions, and cost.
- Apply heart failure prescribing algorithims to clinical case studies.
Assessing Cardiovascular Risk: Where is the data now and where do we go from here?
- Explain the role of CV risk assessment as part of guidelines-directed therapy.
- Discuss health disparities associated with CV risk assessment.
- Describe risk enhancing factors to take into consideration and when to consider screening for elevated Lp (a) and Coronary Artery Calcium (CAC) score
- Review any emerging CV risk assessment techniques that may compliment the current model of risk assessment.”
Spectrum of CKD and the Impact on Overall Cardiovascular Health
- Describe the relationship between the renal system and cardiovascular system and the link between CKD and CVD.
- Explain the importance of monitoring renal function in patients with CVD, when to be alarmed, and indications for referral.
- Review current data on SGLT2i outcome trials in reduction of cardiovascular risk and renal disease progression in patients with and without DM2.
Friday, March 25, 2022
Resistant Hypertension: Who is at risk? Detection, Evaluation and Treatment
- Define resistant hypertension and its prevalence in the population.
- Explain the common steps in detection and evaluation of resistant hypertension.
- Describe accepted approaches to management of resistant hypertension.
- Review the importance of patient involvement and shared decision making in the management of resistant hypertension and associated co-morbid conditions.
COVID-19 Long-Haulers: The Search for Answers
- Review COVID-19 and adverse physical manifestations in the post-acute phase.
- Explain data on chronic COVID syndrome (CCS) or long-hauler syndrome, and the peristent physical manifestations.
- Identify the possible long-term cardiovascular risks in patients with a history of COVID-19 infection and necessary screening and assessment techniques.
- Review gaps and opportunities for further research in regards to COVID-19 long-hauler syndrome.
Management of Atrial Fibrillation, from A to Z
- Identify the available pharmacologic therapies for management of Atrial Fibrillation for rate and rhythm control.
- Review the non-pharmacologic treatment options for Atrial Fibrillation, including cardioversion, surgery, and catheter ablation.
- Explain key strategies in decision making for management of Atrial Fibrillation.
- Describe the role of consumer wearables in the continued monitoring of patients being treated for Atrial Fibrillation.”
Maternal Mortality, Cardiovascular Disease, and Prevention
- Review the burden of CVD on maternal mortality and the important role.
- List maternal risk factors and importance of early identification and prevention of CVD.
- Identify health disparities related to maternal mortality, especialy as it relates to access to care as well as racial and socioeconomic inequalities.
- Explain a team-based approach and nurse navigator role in reducing the risk of CVD in women of childbearing age.”
Breakout: Interpreting and Applying the 12 lead ECG in Clinical Settings
- Review the major components of the 12-lead ECG including the axis, p-wave, QRS complex, T wave, ST-segment, and QT duration.
- Outline a systematic approach to 12-lead ECG interpretation and application to patient care
- Differentiate VT vs SVT and aberrancy
- List the criteria LVH, fascicular and bundle branch blocks, and acute/remote myocardial infarction
Breakout: Handheld Echo, New Technology, New Skills for Nurses
- Describe the concept of ultrasonic technology.
- Summarize the use of echocardiography in screening, diagnosing and monitoring cardiovascular conditions.
- Review the application of hand-held echocardiography, equipment and instrumentation in physical exam and clinical decision making.
- Discuss the use of hand held echocardiography by nurses in clinical settings.
Breakout: Essential Skills for Today’s Nurse Leaders: Making an Impact with Social Media
- Review the essential qualities and skills sets associated with leadership in nursing.
- Define social media and review the various platforms commonly used.
- Explain the development and value of nursing leadership in social media for both formal and informal leadership positions.
- Discuss how nurse leaders leverage social media to develop digital leardership, visibility and become role models.
Complex Cases in Lipid Management: Treating LDL and Beyond
- Identify at risk populations with hypercholesterlemia including FH/FHoH.
- Summarize pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic approaches to lowering cholesterol and triglycerides.
- Using case studies, select the appropriate cholesterol-lowering pharmacologic agent for specific patients including statins and moving into novel therapies.
- Collaborate for solutions to close the gap across race and ethnicity in application of evidence-based cholesterol lowering guidelines.”
Saturday, March 26, 2022
Cardiovascular Health and CVD Risk in LGBTQI+ Populations
- Identify the health disparities that exist for sexual and gender minority populations.
- Explain the risk factors and important role of CVD prevention in this population.
- List strategies to increase access to care and awareness of CVD risk in sexual and gender minorities.
- Discuss the importance of shared-decision making in prevention and management of CVD and addressing knowledge, patient preferences, and barriers in minority populations.”
Precision Medicine and Genetics: Implications for CVD prevention and management
- Define precision medicine and its role in CVD prevention and management.
- Explain the connection between precision medicine and genetics.
- Describe the current state of research on CRISPR gene technology.
- Review a case study on identification and genetic testing for Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy and Cardiac Amyloidosis.
From Burnout to Posttraumatic Growth: Renewing Your Health and Well-being Following the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Define posttraumatic growth as a response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Describe characteristics and variables that support growth following a traumatic event.
- Review key steps the individual can take to develop posttraumatic growth.
- Identify resources available to support posttraumatic growth following the COVID-19 pandemic.”
This educational activity is provided by the Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association (PCNA). Multiple educational grants have been requested to support this program. PCNA is approved as a provider of nurse practitioner continuing education (CE) programs by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP), provider number 030602. This program was planned in accordance with AANP CE Policies and Commercial Support Standards.