Purpose of the Committee
The Advocacy Committee is in alignment with PCNA’s mission to increase public and political awareness of the critical role that nurses play in comprehensive cardiovascular risk reduction across the lifespan in both the primary and secondary setting. Advocacy involves identifying, embracing and promoting a cause. It is an opportunity to shape public perception or to affect change.
Description of Duties
- Evaluate policy opportunities of like organizations via email and assess whether PCNA should support the issue.
- Evaluate whether issues are in alignment with PCNA’s mission, goals, and DEI position and determine if appropriate to share with our membership.
- Have an awareness of current cardiovascular healthcare issues and opportunities for PCNA to be represented.
- Build relationships with other healthcare organizations to collaboratively advocate for opportunities that promote PCNA.
- Discuss advocacy visions and/or advocacy opportunities with the PCNA Board of Directors.
- Be a champion for the Advocacy Award.
Requirements for Advocacy Committee Member
- Responsive to requests to evaluate sign-on opportunities
- Available for a bimonthly conference call
- Agreeable to confidential nature of committee discussions
- Interest in advocacy
Guidelines and Committee Terms
- Committee members will serve a two-year term with an option to renew for an additional two years.
- The Nominations and Awards Committee will appoint committee chairs with consultation from the current chair.
- Once an individual has served as a committee chair (two-year term) he/she has the opportunity to serve on the committee for only one additional consecutive year.
- The Committee Chair is responsible for working with the committees to set short and long-term goals. These should be presented to the Board annually