Purpose of the Committee
The Advocacy Committee supports PCNA’s mission of promoting nurses as leaders in cardiovascular disease prevention and management through public policy and funding.
The Advocacy Committee supports the advocacy efforts of organizations, drafts official position statements, and makes public comments and testimony. The committee educates PCNA members about important policy issues and provides members with a voice in policy arenas.
Description of Duties
- Evaluate policy opportunities of like organizations via email and assess whether PCNA should support the issue.
- Evaluate whether issues are in alignment with PCNA’s mission, goals, and DEI position and determine if appropriate to share with our membership.
- Have an awareness of current cardiovascular healthcare issues and opportunities for PCNA to be represented.
- Build relationships with other healthcare organizations to collaboratively advocate for opportunities that promote PCNA.
- Discuss advocacy visions and/or advocacy opportunities with the PCNA Board of Directors.
- Be a champion for the Advocacy Award.
Requirements for Advocacy Committee Member
- Responsive to requests to evaluate sign-on opportunities
- Available for a bimonthly conference call
- Agreeable to the confidential nature of committee discussions
- Interest in advocacy
Guidelines and Committee Terms
- Committee members will serve a two-year term with an option to renew for an additional two years.
- The Nominations and Awards Committee will appoint committee chairs with consultation from the current chair.
- Once an individual has served as a committee chair (two-year term) he/she has the opportunity to serve on the committee for only one additional consecutive year.
- The Committee Chair is responsible for working with the committees to set short and long-term goals. These should be presented to the Board annually