Purpose of the Committee
The purpose of the Abstract Review Committee is to ensure a fair and scientific review of abstracts submitted to the PCNA Annual Symposium. Through a blind review process, committee members evaluate abstracts for appropriateness, scientific validity and merit, research methodology, and adherence to PCNA abstract guidelines. Note abstract submissions open in the fall and will be due around November 1st .
Description of Duties
- Evaluate abstract submission guidelines and modify as needed.
- Evaluate grading criteria and modify as needed.
- Decide in January which of the committee members will be attending the PCNA Annual Symposium to grade posters on-site. If less than three committee members are attending, invite a qualified PCNA member (based on the requirements below) to temporarily join the committee to help with grading abstracts and posters.
- Review and grade blinded abstracts in December of each year. Note: each abstract and poster must be graded by at least three reviewers. Reviewers may not score abstracts or posters where a conflict of interest may exist (i.e. abstracts where reviewer is author or coauthor or consultant).
- Meet on a conference call after all grades are submitted to reach a consensus on which abstracts will be accepted.
- Evaluate instructions for poster presenters and modify as needed.
- Grade poster presentations at the Annual Symposium and submit one official ballot listing the top three winning posters in each category.
Requirements for Abstract Review Committee Members
- Member of PCNA
- Experienced cardiovascular researcher and/or clinical researcher
- Experienced in preventive cardiology
Guidelines and Committee Terms
- Committee members will serve a two-year term, with an option to renew for one additional two-year term.
- The Nominations and Awards Committee will appoint committee chairs with consultation from the current chair.
- Once an individual has served as a committee chair (two-year term) he/she has the opportunity to serve on the committee for only one additional consecutive year.
- The committee chair is responsible for working with the committee to set short and long term goals. These will be presented to the board annually.
- PCNA shall provide complimentary registration for Abstract Review Committee members to attend the Annual Symposium.