Changing behaviors is never easy, and it takes a concerted effort on the part of both you and your patients. This cardiovascular disease behavior change mini-certificate will develop your skills and knowledge, allowing you to effectively partner with patients to develop and implement lifestyle changes and realistic plans of care.
Regardless of your clinical practice setting, by completing the seven chapters, you will be able to explain the importance of behavior change for cardiovascular disease prevention and treatment and select and apply tools and intervention strategies in working with patients in behavior change.
- Each of the 6 modules is stand-alone, but modules must be completed in order.
- All modules include a case study, knowledge checks, and a ‘reflection’ component for the learner to identify how the content may be applied to clinical practice.
Course Introduction and Overview of the Behavior Change Mini-Certificate
Coaching for Health Behavior Change, Part I: Models & Theories of Behavior Change; Coaching
Coaching for Health Behavior Change, Part II: Helping Patients with Maintenance of Behavior Change: The Relapse Process
Motivational Interviewing for Health Behavior Change
Improving Medication Adherence and Reducing Cardiovascular Risk Factors
Transitions of Care
- Understand the relevant theoretical frameworks and models that shape lifestyle behavior change.
- Develop a toolkit of skills to empower patients/clients to minimize cardiovascular risk, ensure medication adherence, and move toward effective lifestyle behavior change
- Implement virtual care technology and evidenced-based interventions to set goals and develop plans to change behavior for long-term maintenance.
- Lifestyle and Behavior Change Tools: Heart Healthy Toolbox
- Ideal Exercise Prescription for Cardiovascular Health
- Lola A. Coke, PhD, ACNS-BC, FAHA, FPCNA, FNAP, FAAN
- Diana Baptiste, DNP, RN, CNE, FAAN
- Nancy Houston Miller, BSN, RN
- Elizabeth Moxley, PhD, RN, BS
- Janna Stephens, PhD, RN
PCNA is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners as an approved provider of nurse practitioner continuing education. Provider number: 030602.