Treatment Strategies for Undiagnosed AFib
An advanced practice nurse, cardiologist, and patient all provide unique perspectives on the importance of accurate and timely identification of Afib and guideline-based management to prevent stroke. Kathy Berra MS, ANP, Jonathon Chrispin MD and Melanie True-Hills reinforce the importance of collaboration among health care team members, patients, and caregivers.
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to: \
- Discuss the magnitude of undiagnosed non-valvular atrial fibrillation (NVAF) in the population at large and review common risk factors.
- Summarize the stroke risks associated with NVAF and available treatments to prevent stroke.
- Describe atrial fibrillation awareness and screening tools and provide examples of activities that can be executed in a variety of clinical and community settings.
- Review risk communication strategies to help patients and caregivers understand the risks and benefits of NVAF treatment to actively engage in shared decision making.
- Kathy Berra, MSN, ANP, FAHA, FPCNA, FAAN
- Melanie True Hills, CSP
- Jonathan Chrispin, MD