Guideline writing panel member and former PCNA President, Dr. Cheryl Dennison-Himmelfarb provides a timely discussion of the 2019 Guideline for Primary Prevention of CVD with a focus on the role of nurses in applying the Guidelines to clinical practice. This Guideline integrates recent cholesterol, hypertension, and physical activity guidelines and addresses aspirin in primary prevention.
Upon completion of this continuing education course, participants will be able to:
- Review the purpose of the 2019 CVD Primary Prevention Guideline.
- Discuss the role of risk estimators and assessment of social determinants of health on treatment decisions.
- Review new recommendations for aspirin use, tobacco use, and healthy lifestyles.
- Describe the role of team-based care and shared-decision making in applying the guideline to various clinical practice settings.
- Cheryl Dennison-Himmelfarb RN, ANP, PhD, FAAN