Hone Your Behavior Change Skills
Changing behaviors is never easy, and it takes a concerted effort on the part of both you and your patients. PCNA now has a mini-certificate that can help.
Develop skills and knowledge to effectively partner with patients to develop and implement lifestyle changes to minimize risk in primordial and primary prevention of cardiovascular disease and to develop and implement realistic plans of care to manage their risk factors as secondary prevention.
This engaging, case-based course that is suitable for clinicians in primary care or in cardiac rehab settings. Choose the course that is right for you!
Upon completion of this continuing education course, participants will be able to:
- Perform cardiovascular risk assessments using the most effective individualized tool and communicate the results effectively to patients.
- Utilize risk communication strategies based on individualized patient characteristics.
- Develop beginning knowledge and skill in using motivational Interviewing and coaching to move patients toward behavior change.
- Select and implement a variety of behavior change strategies for an individual and work collaboratively to develop goals, a plan for changing behavior, and mechanisms to evaluate goal completion.
- Required and supplemental readings to enhance knowledge of key concepts.
- Beyond Scare Tactics: Effective Communication Strategies
- Heart Healthy Lifestyle Counseling: Making the Clinical Encounter More Efficient and Effective
- Hey Coach: Winning Strategies for Behavior Change
- Effective Strategies for Engaging Patients in Health Behavior Change
- Case studies integrating the readings and webinar knowledge into an actual case example - participants will choose from two case studies, primary care or cardiac rehabilitation, that best fits their work with patients.
- Written examinations will serve as a pre-knowledge assessment and as a final post-program evaluation of knowledge acquisition
- Pertinent guidelines
- Access to PCNA Heart Health Toolbox
- Lynne T. Braun, PhD, CNP, CLS, FAHA, FPCNA, FAAN
- Catherine Christie, PhD, RD, LD/N
- Lola Coke, PhD, ACNS-BC, CNS, FAHA, FPCNA
- Nancy Houston Miller, RN, BSN, FAHA, FPCNA
- Jane Nelson Worel, MS, APRN-BC