Summer Learning Event
PCNA will be hosting a virtual learning event this summer in place of the spring, in-person chapter events that did not occur due to COVID-19. Earn 2.0 CE at this virtual learning event. Join the event using the links found on this page.
- Smoking Cessation: Counseling Strategies and Pharmacologic Treatments, presented by Lisa Maher DNP, ARNP, FNP-BC
- Effective Diagnosis and Treatment of Transthyretin Amyloid Cardiomyopathy (ATTR-CM), presented by Kathleen Byrne CRNP, FPCNA, CLS
|10:30 AM CT||Welcome|
|10:45 AM CT||Smoking Cessation: Counseling Strategies and Pharmacologic Treatments
Lisa Maher, DNP, ARNP, FNP-BC
|11:45 AM CT||Product Theater by Esperion: NEXLETOL and NEXLIZET: Oral, Nonstatin Therapies for Lowering LDL-C Cardiovascular Disease and Lipid Management|
|12:45 PM CT||Effective Diagnosis and Treatment of Transthyretin Amyloid Cardiomyopathy (ATTR-CM)
Kathleen Byrne CRNP, FPCNA, CLS
|1:45 PM CT||Closing|
Smoking Cessation: Counseling Strategies and Pharmacologic Treatments (1 CE)
- Participants will be able to identify current patterns of nicotine use and their health impacts.
- Participants will be able to discuss how to assess a patient for readiness to quit smoking and use the assessment to plan the next steps toward cessation.
- Participants will be able to discuss treatment options available for smoking cessation, identifying those that have shown the most successful outcomes.
Effective Diagnosis and Treatment of Transthyretin Amyloid Cardiomyopathy (ATTR-CM) (1.0 CE)
- Describe epidemiology, pathophysiology and prevalence of ATTR, including hereditary and wild types
- Review current best practices in the effective diagnosis and management of ATTR-CM
- Describe barrier-reduction strategies to promote effective diagnosis and treatment of ATTR-CM
- Explain the use of shared decision-making strategies to assist patients with ATTR-CM and their families/caregivers in increased understanding of ATTR and the role of patient engagement in the process
- Discuss professional and patient education resources available for ATTR-CM.
Program Specifics and Continuing Education Questions
When will the Summer Learning Event Sessions Be Available On-Demand?
All CE sessions will be available to registrants shortly following the program. Registrants will have exclusive access for 90 days; at which time the recorded sessions will become available to all.
What if I can’t attend the Summer Learning Event on July 22nd?
We recognize that many will not be able to participate in the live Virtual Meeting for a variety of reasons. You must be registered for the virtual event to have access to the on-demand course.
Will CE Credit be Offered for the Summer Learning Event?
Yes. Registrants may earn up to 2.0 CE.
How exactly do I earn Continuing Education Credit?
Approximately one week after the close of the program, PCNA will email registrants with instructions on how to submit credit for the Virtual Cardiovascular Nursing Symposium. Before obtaining credit, attendees must complete and submit an online program evaluation. After submitting the evaluation, attendees will be redirected to their online classroom at https://pcna.net, where they can view and download a Certificate of Completion. Attendees may only submit an evaluation and claim credit once.
How can I engage with the Summer Learning Event Attendees?
PCNA knows that connecting with your fellow nurses at the symposium is something we all look forward to every year. There are several ways you can still connect with your fellow nurses during the Virtual Meeting.
- Each CE presentation will be followed by a live Q & A. This is an excellent opportunity to get answers to your questions and hear from fellow attendees.
- There will be a chat box available for attendees to engage with others throughout the meeting. Feel free to ask questions and share your experiences!
- Be sure to check out our Chapter Kudo Board to learn more about your chapter and it’s leadership team!
Who do I contact for additional questions regarding my online classroom and continuing education credit?
For additional questions regarding your online classroom and continuing education credit, please contact Miranda Welch.
Technical Support and Accessing the Program
How do I connect to the live meeting?
PCNA’s live webcast provider is Freestone. Connect to the meeting using the provided links in the confirmation email or the links listed here. There will be a total of two links.
- Important Notes:
- Please use Chrome or Firefox as these browsers will work best.
- The Freestone Viewer will prompt attendees to enable their computer’s microphone upon sign in. You will NOT be able to hear the program unless you enable your microphone. Although attendees must enable their microphones to launch the audio for the program, Freestone staff will mute all attendees upon entry.
- The Freestone Viewer will launch on smartphones and tablets. Those devices should have the latest version of the software installed to ensure maximum functionality.
Having trouble hearing?
- Try exiting and rejoining the meeting
- Try refreshing your browser
- Try a different browser
- Make sure your microphone is enabled
- Try calling in with your phone
Who do I contact for technical support?
For immediate assistance with the Freestone Viewer and browser issues, please call Freestone at (866) 702-3278 or +1 (770) 805-6292, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Do I have to preregister for the Summer Learning Event?
Yes, to access the program and obtain continuing education credit, you must register. Registration may also require the creation of an account at pcna.net. You do not have to be a member of PCNA to create an account or obtain continuing education credit.
How much does it cost to attend?
The Virtual Meeting is free. There is no cost to attend.
Logging into your PCNA account
You do not need to log into your PCNA account in order to access the live meeting. However, you will need to log into your account in order to submit your CE evaluation and obtain your CE certificate. Need help resetting your password? Contact Miranda Welch, Administrative Assistant or Mariel Snyder, Membership and Chapter Coordinator, for assistance.
This educational activity is provided by the Preventive Cardiovascular Nurses Association (PCNA). PCNA is accredited by the American Association of Nurse Practitioners (AANP) as an approved provider of Nurse Practitioner continuing education, provider number 030602