Heart disease continues to be the major cause of death worldwide. Globally, nurses and nursing organizations play a key role in research, practice, policy, and advocacy initiatives designed to promote CVD prevention. PCNA is a proud member of the World Heart Federation where we continue to take our mission around the world in an effort to support and expand the role of nursing in cardiovascular disease prevention. Individual nurses and nursing organizations continue to make unique contributions to CVD prevention, including development and implementation of innovative case management models for secondary and primary prevention of CVD.
Global Cardiovascular Disease Prevention: A Call to Action for Nursing
PCNA, in partnership with the American Heart Association Council on Cardiovascular Nursing, the World Heart Federation and the Council on Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professionals, recently released Global Cardiovascular Disease Prevention: A Call to Action for Nursing, a scientific paper that addresses the global burden of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and the important role of nurses in primary and secondary prevention.
The content of this paper reflects a major shift in recognition of the need to address chronic diseases around the world with new approaches to CVD risk reduction.
PCNA International Presentations
PCNA continues to be invited to speak and share expertise on the role that nurses play in CVD prevention and management at several international meetings each year including:
- World Congress of Cardiology - Dubai (2012)
- World Congress of Cardiology - Beijing, China (2010)
- European Society of Cardiology Conference - Stockholm, Sweden (2010)
- European Society of Cardiology Conference - Barcelona, Spain (2009)
- Chilean Cardiovascular Nursing Conference - Viña Del Ma r, Chile (2007–2009)
- Council of Cardiovascular Nursing and Allied Professionals Conference - Dublin, Ireland (2008)
- Asian Preventive Cardiology and Cardiac Rehabilitation Conference - Hong Kong, China (2007 & 2008)
- World Congress of Cardiology - Buenos Aires, Argentina (2008)
- European Society of Cardiology Conference - Munich, Germany (2008)
- International Symposium on Cardiopulmonary Prevention/Rehabilitation - Quebec City, Canada (2007)
- International Congress of Cardiology Conference - Iguaçu Falls, Brazil (2007)
A special thank you to the following companies for supporting PCNA’s international initiatives aimed at preventing cardiovascular disease worldwide:
- St. Jude Medical
- Daiichi Sankyo, Inc. and Lilly USA, LLC